Blog Post #10

Artists Research

For my final project I’ve decided to make a ceramic slab lantern. Before planning out my design, I had do some research and look up other different types of lanterns. I want to add some aspects of Islamic architecture such as the extremely intricate designs and how they have gigantic domes and entrances in many mosques. The shape of my lantern is a hexagon therefore I need six rectangle slabs and two hexagon shaped slabs for the bottom base and the top base.  I will also have to make a medium-sized coil bowl for the dome that will go on top of the lantern.

Artists Plan

For the planning part of my project I first drew out exactly how I wanted my lantern and then separately drew each slab that would be in this lantern so I know exactly how many slabs I will need for the lantern. I then went on to make the templates for my slabs. Two of my rectangle slabs needed to be a little bit wider than the other four rectangle slabs because my hexagon was a little wide also. The height of my rectangle slabs are not the full seven inches because once I add the dome to the top of the lantern it will add a few more inches. I will cut out openings into each rectangle slab that resemble the entrances in mosques and engrave a lot of intricate designs all around the lantern.